Sixty-seven

So we made our first trip to the hospital today.

The stabbing pains haven't let up, and I had some bright red spotting accompanied by slight pressure. It took me an hour of phone calls to finally be told to go in.

First, I called the on-call OB. She was nice enough to pretty much say "sorry about your luck. We can't help you at this point. You're too early in your pregnancy to do anything if something's wrong." I decided to give my high risk doctor a call and at least give her a heads up about the spotting (she told me to do this since spotting can signal the small window that a cerclage can be placed). Unfortunately, it's a holiday, so I had to call the after hours emergency line. Also, my doctor wasn't on call and I ended up talking to the other doctor in the practice (I've never met him before). More frustration, since he doesn't know my whole history. He read my chart, but he wasn't there during my losses. I figured he'd tell me that he noted the spotting for my doctor and would have her bump my ultrasound up to tomorrow. Surprisingly, he kind of freaked out about the whole thing, called the OB, and convinced her to see me today. (This caused me to feel like a total jackass since it looks like I went over the OB's head. Not my intention at all, but it would have been nice if she showed a little compassion...)

So even though our hospital usually doesn't take anyone in labor and delivery until after 20 weeks, they let me in. I seriously thought I was going to have a panic attack. This was the place my babies died. Even the smell made me feel sick. So many negative connotations with that place. Hubby looked like he was going to puke the whole time.

At least the nurses were nice. The one who took me remembered me. Then I ended up getting checked by the same resident who admitted me last time. She was also the one who checked me when Mady's water broke. She remembered me, too, and she seemed genuinely happy that I'm pregnant again and was so understanding when it came to my concerns (I kind of hope she joins a practice in the area because I might seriously switch to her). She gave me a pelvic exam, internal ultrasound, and urinalysis. Everything checked out fine, thank god. I have an irritated section on my cervix, but it is measuring exactly the same as it was two weeks ago and is closed. Bean was moving all around near my cervix, so I guess that explains the pains. I was released with instructions to keep my appointments this week and next. The one next week is with the OB who told me I was SOL on the phone. She's so awesome... Ugh.

I feel kind of stupid making a huge stink (pretty sure the MFM yelled at the OB) and finding out nothing's wrong. At least we have some piece of mind. For now, that is.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel stupid or bad. You did the right thing. You are doing what you need to do to protect your child. I think anyone in your position would have done the same thing.
Love to all of you!

Post a Comment